Collagen. Is It So Important?
Collagen is the most abundant structural protein in our connective tissue, making up 75% of our skin. It supports the appearance of smooth youthful skin. Collagen, keratin and elastin give the skin its strength, elasticity and structure.
The body naturally produces the collagen that it needs, but this production is gradually disrupted as part of the natural aging process. Women produce less collagen than men, and this collagen is lost at a rate of 1% per year after the age of 25.
Collagen is also greatly affected by environmental stresses such as sun exposure, nutrition, skin damage, and exposure to toxins such as pollutants, cigarette smoke and recreational drugs. With decreased collagen, the skin loses its natural elasticity and firmness, and fine lines, wrinkles and sagging appear.
How to Boost the Collagen in Your Skin.
1. Facial Massage – Massage can stimulate collagen production and strengthen muscle memory. Build upwards massage movements into your daily routine when applying products.
2. Repair Collagen With Skincare – We have an extensive list of Image Skincare products formulated to help repair collagen damage and keep you looking ageless. Our estheticians will suggest the appropriate skincare regimen for your skin.
3. Eat For More Youthful Skin – Eat foods that are rich in sulphur, such as beans, cabbage and garlic which aids the forming of collagen and maintains the skin’s natural healthy pigmentation. Vitamin C also supports the process of collagen formation and works to reduce oxidative damage, so also incorporate foods like broccoli, spinach, goji berries and kiwi fruits.
4. Quit Smoking (and Sugar!) – Smoking can damage collagen. It ages the skin by eating away at proteins, thereby restricting blood flow, resulting in dry, leathery and wrinkled skin. Unfortunately sugar can have the same effect. Sugar can permanently attach to collagen. When collagen is weighed down by glucose it becomes rigid and inflexible, resulting in dull, dry and aging skin.
5. Hydrate – Keeping your skin hydrated with water, plant foods and hydrating skin care is possibly the easiest way to boost collagen.
6. Advanced Skin Treatments – Both superficial and deeper chemical peels can stimulate new collagen growth which will result in long term improvement of your skin. Microdermabrasion, laser and microchanneling can also build and maintain healthy collagen in the skin. Ask your esthetician which treatment would be best for your skin.
7. Try a Collagen Supplement – Supplements can work deep in the dermal layers of the skin and strengthen collagen from the inside out.
Age Later With Yana Daily Collagen Shots, Available at Spa Cascada
Yana is a revolutionary daily beauty liquid that helps to rebuild and strengthen skin by boosting the body’s natural collagen production. This highly concentrated blend of collagen peptides, ceremides, antioxidants and vitamins helps to restore the essential elements skin needs to regain and maintain its youthful appearance.